Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Twilight Alternate Cast: Carlisle Cullen

Happy -almost- St. Patrick's Day Twilighters!!

I guess I've been on hiatus for a while, you know how life goes. But you've always been there in the back of my mind.

"I must post some quasi-interesting opinions on Twilight soon!"
, I'd say to myself.

Finally my self-inflicted peer pressure has won over. So here I am, at my own insistence and at the hand of my own intimidation tactics; I bring you the first of the alternate Twilight cast posts.

There is no significance to the order of the posts. I'm starting with Carlisle because I hadn't really given him or the fact that he is played by Peter Facinelli much thought. I am completely content with Peter playing Carlisle. As a matter of fact, I think he is one of the cast who actually is proud of every aspect of being involved with the Twilight franchise. He doesn't seem to mind the over zealous fans or dodging sunlight on his own time to remain pasty skinned. I think he does a fine job of being Carlisle. He portrays Carlisle with compassion and a hint of sensuality that is very appealing. Peter's look is distinct and for me there is no way to not associate him with Doctor Cullen now.

Because of Peter's total and inseparable meshing with the character of Carlisle, I've been inspired to go in a different direction. I chose a guy who is different than Peter in a lot of ways. I chose this particular guy because I've always liked him and so he remained a little nougat of dreamy goodness saved in the back of my brain.

For the part of Doctor Carlisle Cullen, I have chosen...

RUPERT FRIEND
A Friend-ly Carlisle

Many of you are (hopefully) aware of the yummy, quietly dignified English actor Rupert Friend. If not, allow me to jog your memory because you've probably seen him but maybe you don't remember you have. Give this young bloke a year or two and I'll bet everyone will know his name. He studied at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art in London and made his acting debut as Billy Downs opposite Johnny Depp in The Libertine. He's gotten steadily good reviews for his roles and he looks to be on the fast track to fame. He met his current sweetie Keira Knightley on the set of Pride & Prejudice and they seem a well suited English couple.

Although it's roles like Downs in The Libertine and Mr. Wickham in P&P that will bring him to the attention of the media and therefore, millions of screaming fans, my favorites showcase Rupert's subtle charm and dreamy leading man quality. If you really want to get a feel for Rupert Friend, I suggest watching Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont starring the wonderful Joan Plowright as Mrs. Palfrey, a woman who moves to a hotel for retirees (sort of an English version of an old folks home for upwardly mobile geriatrics). She has a daughter and grandson who don't give her a second thought, let alone visit her. So when Mrs. Palfrey bumps into a charming young gent while out on an errand, she propositions him to 'play' her grandson to placate her curious hotel mates who wonder why her grandson never visits. It's really a heartwarming story.

You also should rent The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Rupert has a supporting but memorable role in this film. It's a good movie, definitely worth watching. It's about a Nazi who, unbeknownst to his wife and two children, runs an Auschwitz style concentration camp. He decides to move his family from their mansion to an intimidating looking house a lot closer to the camp. Of course it's a bad idea and one they'll all regret. Check this film out, I think you'll enjoy it. And you really have to see Rupert rocking the Nazi soldier's uniform. He has to be the hottest Nazi soldier in history.

Overall, I think Rupert Friend would bring a different feel to the role of Carlisle. I believe he'd give Carlisle a depth that would make the viewer yearn to hear more about his past. Rupert's haunting blue eyes can have a hollowness that conveys 'secrets' that would serve the character well. He usually looks kindly and compassionate but when he's serious there is a dangerous edge to him. He's gorgeous, which all the Cullen's are supposed to be. He's light complected naturally so there would be nothing contrived about his pallor in the films. His features are angular and his body lean, which gives him a predatory air. Even though Carlisle doesn't hurt anyone, he is a predator none the less and would, in some ways, look it. The vampires in Meyer's novels are said to put humans off, like their nature speaks to humans in a subconscious, inherent way. Rupert can be intimidating (just watch The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas).

I really do think that Rupert Friend would look the part and play the part of Dr Cullen wonderfully. I think he'd give the character a different depth that would be really interesting to watch.

...And yes, I'm aware of the fact that he looks a bit like Orlando Bloom. So what's wrong with that?






1 comment:

Lord Mark said...

Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com