Saturday, July 24, 2010

Movie Review for The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

I liked it. A lot. Waaay better than Twilight, and marginally better than New Moon.

If I were to go back and grade the first two movies based on my opinion of them now, just so you can relate my grade for Eclipse in comparison, this is what you'd have:

Twilight: C-
New Moon: B-
Eclipse: B+

Little by little the Twilight Saga movies are growing up. I was ticked when Summit Entertainment fired Catherine Hardwicke. But what do I know? In hind site it really seems like the best idea they had, that is after actually snatching up movie rights to the saga in the first place. Each successive director has added to the series and put a different spin on it all, building on the last directors, well, direction. Hardwicke had the saga's best interest at heart and God love her, really was a fan of the franchise. But her vision of Forks, WA was a little crusty around the edges.

Then comes Chris Weitz, a seemingly odd choice for New Moon. But he brought a sleekness to New Moon that Twilight only aspired to. He made it hip. And he saw fit to trust in Taylor Lautner when he promised to bring the heat and heartbreak to the Jacob Black role. He gave Lautner free reign to smolder shirtless onscreen.

It seems Weitz must have also been as annoyed with Kristen Stewart's clunky and uncomfortable acting as the rest of us. He wisely got her to stop fluttering her eyelashes and stuttering long enough to get whole lines of dialog out at one time without seeming spasmodic. And next to Lautner's stellar turn as Jacob, she was almost... forgivable for sucking next to his superior acting chops. He was so good, he made her better I guess.

Now with Eclipse, David Slade waltzes in and turns the Twilight Saga into a bona-fide Hollywood blockbuster (okay, maybe that's generous). But seriously, Eclipse really has the feel of a stylized big budget production. There was so much going on in the movie that it made me forget the lackluster 'chemistry' between the two leads Stewart and Pattinson (that's right, I said it). Okay, they weren't too bad, I think they must feed off of each others weaknesses, poor things. I think they do better when each is in scenes with stronger actors. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Taylor Lautner's unbelievably big talent.

But overall everyone did a good job, some great. Those worth mentioning are the kid who played Riley, Xavier Samuel. He rocked. And Bryce Dallas Howard filled Rachelle LeFever's shoes nicely as Victoria. I had liked LeFever so well that I didn't want to like 'the new girl' in her role but I give Howard credit for a job well done.

I guess that The Twilight Saga is becoming so good that the Twi-Haters really don't have any reason to complain anymore. Twilight has evolved to the point where it's not just for fangirls anymore.

5 comments:

Cool students said...

Dear Luiza and friends,

I'm very proud of your blog. Congrats:)
xxx

watch movies online said...

A superb love story ever. A teenage girl risks everything when she falls in love with a vampire. A densely erotic, twisted take on teen screen romance, Twilight zones out beneath the crushing weight of underage lust intensified and complicated by the excruciating abstention here of unorthodox vampire appetites.

Admin said...

OMG it is so sad Robert broke up with Kristen =( He cheated on her all this time...with that other girl.. wow I feel so bad for her. Kristen is such a nice girl =( </3 If anyone wants to see the news and pics it's here: http://adf.ly/Dmxg

Anonymous said...

I agree with your movie review, except I must beg to differ with your opinion on Kristen Stewart's acting. I think her awkwardness makes her character, Bella, who she is. Nobody else can play Bella now because Kristen has molded her into such a way that it wouldn't be humanly possible for anyone else to play her. Bella IS supposed to be awkward, after all. As for Bryce Dallas Howard vs. Rachelle Lefevre (sorry for any misspelling), I thought Rachelle did a better job of portraying Victoria. She was so cynical playing Victoria that she made her this evil revengeful character that when I saw New Moon (knowing there was a new actress), I thought Bryce was too youthful, too baby-faced compared to Rachelle. Almost too sweet-looking. But I'm not denying that Bryce has a lot of talent and she brought Victoria to the big screen in a whole new way. I have to say, I thought Eclipse was the most epic of all 3 of the movies. And I can't wait for Breaking Dawn! :D

Lord Mark said...

Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com