Friday, December 26, 2008

Chris Weitz to Direct New Moon

Well, folks, it's a done deal. Summit Entertainment has signed Chris Weitz to direct New Moon. Those unfamiliar with the name or face should know that he directed American Pie and The Golden Compass. I suppose he's a satisfactory director. But as far as I can tell he holds no special powers in story telling like 3 of my favorites: Sam Raimi, Tim Burton or Guillermo Del Toro. I mean, you know when you are watching a Guillermo Del Toro flick, no question about it! I singled out those 3 directors because they are masters at spinning fanciful, mystical stories. In my mind I can imagine how each of them would leave their distinctive mark on New Moon, or Twilight for that matter. It'd be cool, that's all I'm saying. I suppose that Chris Weitz will do ok. I gotta rag on him a minute because it's hard for me to fathom the delicate budding teenage emotions of New Moon being handled correctly by the guy who directed American Pie. I was really nervous until I read the letter Weitz wrote to the Twilight Saga fans. Apparently many other Twilighters had misgivings for he felt compelled to placate us all with a heart felt letter (posted on Stephenie Meyer's website):


Dear fans of Twilight, New Moon, Bella, Edward and Jacob,

In the past few days I have been involved in a whirlwind romance with Stephenie Meyers’ extraordinary books.
And I am very grateful to have received her permission to protect New Moon in its translation from the page to the screen.
For fans of the books and of the film of Twilight, this may come as an unexpected twist. So I want to write briefly to try to put you at ease, and to give you reason to hope for and expect the best.
For the last decade of my career as a director, I have chosen to make adaptations of complex and involved works of literature. This has always begun with the love of a book and its characters, story, and theme; and it has always involved a respect of and responsiveness to the feelings of other people who loved those books.
When I saw the film of Twilight, I was alternately entranced and left hungry for more. I was also struck by the extraordinary passion for the characters, story and theme that was evident in the people sitting in the seats around me. My job is to live up to that devotion.
Like many of you, I am a fan of Catherine Hardwicke’s work. I can’t really say much about why she is not doing New Moon because I wasn’t involved in those decisions. But I can say that I will devote myself to making the very best and most faithful version of New Moon that can be brought to the screen. To those who doubt that as a male director I can capture Bella’s experience, I can only say that emotion is universal and that my work has often involved working with some of the most talented actresses in the world.

For the rest, the proof will have to be in the pudding. But I promise to remain responsive to your hopes and fears.
I thank you for this opportunity and for your faith.
Very best,
Chris Weitz


I admit, the letter from Weitz did wonders in softening my contrary position. I promise all of you that I won't dwell on whining about what in my opinion is a directorial misstep on the part of Summit. Unless Weitz does something stupid, then all bets are off.
If any one's interested, Chris Weitz starred in a movie once. It's pretty creepy, hope he didn't write it! It's called Chuck & Buck.

No comments: