Saturday, December 6, 2008

Twilight Revisited, a Success!

Peggy and I went to see Twilight again last night. We met for dinner first and discussed in detail our thoughts on the books. I was on cloud nine, no kidding. Someone in the flesh to discuss Twilight and all those wonderful, magical characters with! My only complaint is that the evening went by too fast. Before we knew it, it was time to head over to the theater. My ardour for everything Twilight had settled somewhat, which is a good thing (because it's exhausting being obsessed with something all the time). Yes Twilight and Edward and Jacob are still some of my very favorite things, but daydreaming about them had become secondary to ...living!

As tempted as I am to pick up Twilight and start rereading the saga, I will refrain. Because after seeing the movie again, I feel myself getting pulled right back into the obsession. And if I allow myself to get Twilight out and read it, there will be no looking back. I'll succumb to the magical draw of Forks, Bella, Jacob ...and Edward. Ah, Edward!

Peggy and I went into the second viewing of Twilight with different perspectives. She had seen it the first time with no prior knowledge of the story (more or less). She hadn't read the saga. I think that would've been a cool thing, to have seen the movie before reading the books. I had of course read them (a few times) but they weren't extremely fresh in my mind. That was on purpose, I tried to remove myself from the story so I could have a fresh perspective. It was hard to do the first time I saw the movie. I couldn't make my mind focus on the actual movie. Instead I just noticed what was different from the book, what was the same, and especially how the movie felt like a 'cliff notes' version of the book. The scenes seemed choppy to me.

Last night however, it had been even longer since I'd read the book and I'd already seen the movie so it was a lot easier for me to just go and focus on enjoying the movie itself. I loved it even more the second time! I did not get the sense of a choppy cliff notes version again. The movie flowed and the story seemed consistent and smooth. I'm not exaggerating! The excitement of being in an over crowded theater at the midnight viewing was gone as well. That was great and totally added to the experience the first time but had been maybe a little distracting from really seeing and enjoying the movie itself. My heart still raced with Edward's first grand appearance onscreen, it was all very satisfying. And the things that bothered me the first time didn't so much this time. My only complaint remains (and was even more heightened this time) Kristen Stewart's portrayal of Bella. Hopefully she will tone down the drama and play up Bella's 'goofy in love in the face of danger' attitude for New Moon.
*NEW MOON SPOILER COMMENT BELOW*
Of course, Kristen Stewart may be able to do a really good job in New Moon simply because if you've ever watched anything she's in, including Twilight, you'll notice that she always seems to have pessimistic overtones to her character portrayals. She's very low key; a downer, if you will. And so, since Edward breaks Bella's heart and leaves her in New Moon, Kristen's melodramatic portrayal may actually synch with Bella's frame of mind in New Moon. But I still think she got Bella wrong in Twilight. If you pay close attention (or even if you try to ignore it) you will notice how Kristen almost never delivers any of Bella's lines without stuttering through them (although intentionally) or rolling her eyes dramatically ...and I also have to mention this annoying little head shake thing she does. I'd say 70% of the time she is talking, she minutely shakes her head from side to side. Was this for added emphasis on the import of the words she is speaking? I would bet so. It doesn't help and hopefully someone will point it out to Kristen before filming of New Moon starts.

Filming of New Moon! Yay! In case you didn't notice, I'm changing direction here, readers. I didn't intend on ragging on Kristen Stewart today. My intent was to tell you how much I really enjoyed myself last night, and I DID. 100%! I very often digress, of which you all are aware. I will do some research and let you know just when filming will begin! Now, back to my night with Peggy.

After Peggy saw Twilight the first time, she went home and ordered the whole saga online.(Another Twilighter convert!) And she's read all but Breaking Dawn. Going into the theater last night she'd become a savvy Twilight lover. Her perspective had changed majorly. She was way more excited this time. Now that she knows the details of the story, she was chomping at the bit to see the movie again. And she loved it even more! It was great!

So I'd say our evening was a great success. I told her last night and I'll say it again: Peggy if you want to go back, just give me a holler! I'll be there in a second :D

No comments: