Monday, December 1, 2008

Twilight Revisited!

I was on call for my job all of last week so I didn't get to go see Twilight again. But I am planning on going again this Friday. I know compared to all you other Twilighters out there I'm a lightweight! But I always had intentions of seeing it again. I wanted to let the first viewing stew for a while. Let it simmer and fade. THEN head back out and see what I glean from a second viewing. I want to know if my opinion will change.

I was planning on going alone to see it this time. But I got a happy surprise when I read my email today. My best friend Peggy wants to go see it again too. This is major news to me. I've created a Twiligher! I am the only one of my small group of friends who was obsessed over the Twilight saga. The only one to even read them actually. But my friends were so enticed by the hype surrounding the movie and the lure of a midnight showing that they accompanied me to see Twilight. I must tell you that after seeing it, Peggy went home and bought all four books.

I think that my friends may have thought that these books were your typical vampire stories. You know; blood, fangs, long black cloaks and scary glowing eyes in the dark. But after seeing Twilight, they realized that it is as far from the vampire cliché as you can get. (Not that I mind the cliché, I rather enjoy any vampire story!) The Twilight saga doesn't fit into the mold of the typical vampire story, it's a romance, plain and simple. BUT, there's the alluring part. Neither is the Twilight saga a typical romantic story. It fits into both the category of vampire story and romantic story, but in an atypical way. It breaks the mold. And that is one of the things that makes it so special. There is nothing in the story that seems familiar and so you are compelled to keep reading (usually in an obsessive sort of way that all us Twilighters comprehend). That appeal is something very hard to explain and therefore, very hard to convince someone of. I know I just gushed about how wonderful these books are to everyone I ran in to, but until a person can experience for themselves, it doesn't quite grip you how addictive Twilight is! Come on, how can 17 MILLION of us be wrong? :)

So I think that we'll see a grand spike in the Twilight saga's book sales. Because not only does the Twilight movie fulfill something that all us original Twilighters were waiting on, it also serves as a catalyst for new Twilighters. If you are like me, you'll jump in feet first and reread that saga again like it's the first time! Enjoy the amazing journey all over again, with all the new fanatics in tow.

No comments: