Thursday, November 27, 2008

Twilight pulls in $70.6 Million!

Hi there you crazy Twilight fans, you! Just wanted to put this out there so you'll be aware. Twilight made $70.6 million dollars opening weekend! That's quite a haul! AND Twilight's director Catherine Hardwicke snagged the distinction of highest grossing opening weekend for a female directed movie! She blew away the last person to hold that spot, Mimi Leder who directed Deep Impact in 1998 (it made $41 million). Go Catherine!

Summit Entertainment has already announced the green-light for New Moon. So, expect to see it in 2010 (hopefully early 2010). They have pretty much committed to adapting the who saga for the silver screen!

I'm really stoked about all this. The only down side is that I've read in several different articles that Taylor Lautner will reprise the role of Jacob Black. I can't deny that I'm bummed by this. I've read that maybe they'll just ignore the fact that Jacob sprouted up so quickly into a big ole boy. That would suck. His unintentionally imposing stature played a major part in his description in New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Guess they'll just work around it (to my consternation!)

New Moon is almost my favorite in the saga. I can't put it above Twilight, so I'll call it a draw. But the book is largely a dialog between Bella and Jacob. It's going to be imperative that Kristen Stewart not be so dramatic. And Taylor Lautner will just have to grow a whole foot and ...be more engaging! Yeah he was cute and nice in Twilight. But that was because he was there in small doses, just as a supportive character. In New Moon he'll be front and center, main character all the way. I just don't know if he will pull it off. I guess we'll see, we have no choice. :)

I will expound on this subject another time friends! I only intended to give you the straight (subtle reference to my wishes that Steven Strait would be cast as Jacob? Yep.) facts on how Twilight did over the opening weekend. But in true form, I blathered on! Believe me, I'll have more on this topic later.

Oh, by the way, Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments: