Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Summit Entertainment Dumps Director Catherine Hardwicke

In a revealing article on Nikki Frinke's Deadline Hollywood Daily website (http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/index.php?s=catherine+hardwicke) Summit Entertainment announced that Catherine Hardwicke will not be asked to direct the second installment in the Twilight saga movies, New Moon. They said basically that there was a schedule clash between her time frame and theirs. But it really sounds like a load of bull to me. Read the article and decide for yourself.

I personally enjoyed the earthy feel Hardwicke's direction gave to Twilight. I imagine whoever they choose will make it a point to give the movie a 'polished' feel. What ever vision the new director has, s/he better live up to what Hardwicke has done so far. I think it's crappy to dump Hardwicke, especially since Twilight has the distinction of grossing more money opening weekend than any other female directed movie in history!

Take heart Twilighters. I'm not completely opposed to seeing someone else at the helm for New Moon. This isn't a totally bad thing. Although I'd rather Catherine be given the chance to direct New Moon, especially with more cash available the second time around. I'm somewhat curious how another director will envision the book in movie form. I have only two requests (and by requests, I mean demands).

1. That they choose a female director. Because, after all, the Twilight saga was written by a woman, mainly for woman, from the viewpoint of a woman. And so it should be directed by a woman!

And 2. the director must be a passionate fan of the saga. No one else can do it justice. It was Catherine's passion for the story that drove her to work so hard when creating a vision true to the book.

Whether that is Summit's intent or not, I hope they have their hearts in the right place when shopping around for a new director. Otherwise, there's no wrath quite like that of a scorned Twilighter!

No comments: