Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm rambling

When I left work last Friday, it was raining outside and very dismal looking in general. For some reason I thought of Alice Cullen and how cool it'd be to have her as a friend. It seemed Friday would've been a perfect rainy evening to head off to the city with Alice to go shopping. And I'm not that big a fan of shopping for shopping's sake either. I just thought it would be nice.

More than that, I felt reminiscent of my high school days. I missed being 17. But then I snapped back into reality and I remembered that my high school days in no way compared to Bella's. Mine was a regular old high school experience. Very boring. Normal, boring classmates (no fancy vampires there!), tedious classes and teachers, mundane after school activities and predictable Friday evening hangouts.

I had a couple close friends but somehow those relationships weren't solid or lasting things. I hear that happens frequently with high school friends. I guess you outgrow them when you actually get a little age on you and realize that they weren't that great anyhow. Probably were friends because of being thrown together so often in school. At least that's how it was for me.

I don't mean to be a bitch. As a matter of fact, my 2 closest friends phased me out of their lives. I didn't fit into the typical mold like I was supposed to. You know: graduate, get married, have some kids and all that. I veered way of the path myself. Opting instead to work for a few years (interspersed with partying), get a little education (not much to speak of) and then buy a house on my own. I started off dangerously close to following on the same path as my high school chums. I got married at 19 (gasp!) Readers, DO NOT EVER DO THAT. I mean, seriously, married at 19 is not the way to go.
Remember: This ain't Forks and he ain't Edward!

Luckily I came to my senses and realized that I shouldn't have settled and that even being alone, as long as I am true to myself, is WAY better than being in a crappy, unexciting marriage with a man who is not even close to being my soul mate.

That's not to say that if you find your soul mate at age 19, that you shouldn't grab him and run for the chapel. I would totally do it! Even though, I hope for everyone reading that that doesn't happen either. I hope you find your soul mate, just not at 19. Believe me, you will be such a different person 10 or 15 years down the road. Needs change, feelings change. PEOPLE change; especially between the ages of 19 and 29. Seriously, hold your horses and wait a while. Because while your high school sweetheart is the best catch in town now, some day you'll realize that there's some exceptionally hot and interesting fish outside the boarders of your little burg.

I'm rambling and this doesn't have too much to do with being friends with Alice Cullen. Other than maybe she'd give you some similar pointers.

No comments: