Thursday, October 16, 2008

Kristen Stewart as Bella

I liked the choice of Kristen Stewart as Bella right off the bat. Of course, there are a few minor things that don't sync up perfectly between actress and character but lets face it, you ain't gonna get exactly what you want. Not gonna happen. Everyone who read Twilight created a different mental image of all the characters, woods, beaches, stores, schools, houses, etc.

When I saw the movie set of Bella's bedroom, I thought 'Man, that sure is a LOT smaller than I imagined that room.." So you see, not every detail is going to match up to that wonderful, rainy place you've created in your head.

Here's what I like about Kristen Stewart as Bella:

1. She is plucky. She seems upbeat and approachable, just like she seems in the books.

2. She physically resembles my idea of Bella. Her face is at times strikingly beautiful, but in a 'real girl' kind of way. Like I could imagine passing someone who looks like her on the street. Also, at times, like in the Twilight teaser poster below, she looks so young and vulnerable. Here she has a very soft look about her, and if you remember, Bella was described that way. This is an important feature since Bella is basically a child in comparison to centuries old vampires. I think it adds to the hotness of their relationship that Edward is so very worldly next to Bella.


3. Kristen Stewart has a down to earth appeal. I can imagine her pulling off clumsy and being easily flustered by Edward's crazy-hot amber stare (who wouldn't be?).
All in all, I couldn't imagine a better fit for Bella than Kristen Stewart. I also like that I hadn't heard of her before this movie. I know she's been in some other movies but she's relatively unknown. I think it would've been distracting to have a big name person starring as Bella. It would've somehow pulled me out of the realism while watching the movie. Somewhere in my head I would always be conscious of the fact that I was watching *insert name of ridiculously popular starlet here*. With Kristen, I can totally believe it's Bella up there. Same goes for most of the rest of the cast as well.
The only thing about Kristen that didn't jive with my image of Bella was how she delivers her lines. I mention this because it's distracting. I watched the official trailer release and I noticed how very serious Bella is all the time. I gotta tell you, I know that Edward is a torn and tortured soul and that's all well and good because we love EVERYTHING about him, but I never got that feeling from Bella. I know she is very mature and responsible for her age (her Mom called her a middle aged teenager) BUT I still never got the impression that she was so grave when talking to anyone, especially Edward. I just thought she would sound more goofy and smart at the same time. Not like she's delivering a eulogy all the time. By the way, here's the trailer I was talking about.
TWILIGHT TRAILER:


Well, however Bella sounds or her bedroom looks in the trailer, I want you to know that I will fall madly in love with everything about this movie, even the stuff that seems a little off in comparison to the Forks in my mind.

No comments: