Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Re-reading the Saga

WARNING: *Breaking Dawn Spoilers below*

OK, so as most of you Twilight addicts know, it is not acceptable (and dang near impossible) to read the Twilight saga just once. So, I'm 3/4 of the way through my second reading. And you know what? I'm starting to get depressed. Just knowing that I will eventually be done with the series... Again...

I think you'll agree with me when I say that I just want to go live in that Forks that exists in Stephenie Meyer's books. Not in the literal since, as in pack my bags and change my geographical location (though that would be ok too) but in the literary since, the Forks that exists in the minds of Stephenie and us readers. I want to be there; to wrap myself in a rainy Forks cocoon and forget my real-world problems. I wish there were some way that Stephenie would continue the story. Of course I realize that a lot of the very things I love about the series would be hard to continue now that Bella and Edward have married. The innocence of them both, the yearning to consummate their love. Ahhh... Although I wouldn't mind if Stephenie expounded on the marital bliss that Bella and Edward share, and I do mean that in the carnal sense.

One thing that was particularly interesting to me is the fact that (in Breaking Dawn) Bella can unveil her mind so that Edward can read it. I would love to read more on that and his feelings about being able to see into her mind when she lets him. It's another avenue that further books could explore.

As far as new story lines go, I'm not really interested in evolving the Jacob and Nessie story. I think I would have much rather preferred Jacob to imprint on someone unrelated to the story so far, or no one at all. I truly love the Jacob character. He's so earnest and sweet. How could you not love him? I would like to see him happy with a girl who's his age now. Or, forget the Nessie dynamic and continue the love triangle between him, Bella and Edward. I thought there for a minute in Breaking Dawn that Stephenie was considering a Jacob/Leah union. Glad it didn't go that way though. Maybe she could develop a story focused on Jacob becoming chief of the Quileute tribe and dealing with the pressures of that. He could imprint on a vampire girl and be bitten. Perhaps it would do something screwy like turn him into a super-creature. Scratch that, I think I was channeling 'Underworld' right there..

If we don't get anymore Twilight books, I wish Stephenie would at least finish (the infamous rough draft) Midnight Sun for us. And I would want it to be 1,000 pages long. Maybe it could be a Twilight/New Moon combo from Edward's point of view. His voice is so engrossing! I love reading all the thoughts that were behind Edward's solemn, tortured looks. So, like all of you, I really mourn the indefinite 'shelving' of Midnight Sun. I hope that the irresistible draw that the Twilight characters have for all us fans is felt by Stephenie and it will lure her back to finishing it. My hope is that she would write New Moon and Eclipse from his point of view as well. Anything to keep it going!

I would be interested in reading more about Emmett and Rosalie, Alice and Jasper; heck, I'd even read about Renee and her old man. Anything, gimme anything, I tell you!

Maybe Stephenie will never continue Midnight Sun, or the Twilight saga. But she should be aware that she could really go in any direction and expand on any of the characters and story lines, and we Twi-hards would eagerly eat it up.

2 comments:

isa_without_bella said...

Hi.... I'm from Austria... which actually doesn't matter. So in advance: sorry for my not perfect english.
I only wanted to say that you are sooooooooo right!
After I've seen the film, I immediately went to the bookshop the next day and got twilight... first in german.... but after I finished... I didn't want the story to end....So I went another time to the book shop and got twilight in english... and read it another time... And now....I still don't want the story to end. But i couldn't resist and started new mmon to read... first in german... and now I'm reading it a second time in english. xD All my classmated think I'm crazy... maybe I am...don't know.. But I still wish this special "twilight-feeling" will last forever. and I don't want to read on the sequels.. because I don't want the story to end... so I'm taking my final exams in school... read evry book bevore breaking dawn another 100 times.... and anytime I will read braking dawn... So , ok...I hope you understand my english in some way... and don't think I'm crazy. xD.
Kisses Isa from Austria

Ailora Blue said...

Hi Isa! That's a cool name. I definitely don't think you are crazy. I've experienced such a wide range of emotions with the Twilight saga that it's almost mystical how the books can have such a profound effect on people.

If it were just me, I'd worry. But it seems like everyone who reads these books goes through a similar experience.

It's comforting to know that others are going through it too. It binds us together as a group of fans. We as 'Twilighters' are more in touch with what each other goes through than fans of other things.

I was so bummed when I finished Breaking Dawn the first time, but I just started over immediately reading Twilight and read the whole series straight through again. And in the back of my mind, I knew that the partial manuscript for Midnight Sun was online and available for reading. So, after you get done reading the all the books, if you feel depressed, just reread them. After the second time it's a little better. Don't forget to read 'Midnight Sun' too. It's is really amazing!

Good luck on your exams!
Goldie