Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stephen King on Stephenie Meyer!

Calm down Twilighters, it's not as dirty as it sounds. But it is pretty bad. During a recent interview, epic popular writer Stephen King was asked his opinion of current chart topping writers, in particular J. K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. In Stephen King's eloquent style, he surmised that "Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”

Now Steve, you are breaking my heart. I only hope that if I am ever lucky enough to have anything published that my style either appeals to you or you never read it. I can only imagine what Stephenie thinks of your comments. Although, I doubt she puts as much weight on your meandering talky-talk as I do. For I've grown up loving and respecting your work, and have been inspired by it. However, I will tell you, dear Mr. King, that I have never once read one of your books that I felt I couldn't put down (Although Cell came close). As is the case with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga. And not one book in particular, take your pick; Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse or Breaking Dawn. I had to have more, couldn't stop! Her writing is so addictive that as I neared the end of the saga, I (like a LOT of Twilighters) become melancholy at the thought of having no more of Stephenie's wonderful words to consume.

I am surprised that Steven King would be so hasty to write off Meyer's writing ability with such finality. Especially since he was considered a hack by many critics for a long time before finally gaining the respect he deserves. I would think he'd show some empathy for new writers, having been denied it himself.

Why is he saying that Stephenie's not a very good writer? I have my suspicions. I wonder if in his old age he's become a snobby elitist who sets high atop his mountain of money and picks apart the efforts of others writers. Maybe when he says she's not a good writer, he's referring to technical aspects of her writing. You know, the stuff that no one cares about except other elitist writers. For example, he may be saying that there are grammatical errors. Or he may be focusing on sentence structure - Meyer's does have an annoying habit of incessantly using em dashes throughout her prose - or maybe even the meandering uncohesiveness of plot development.

What King is overlooking is that 17 million (and counting) readers can't all be wrong. Meyer's writing has merit if so many people get enjoyment from it time and time again. Her writing evokes such loyalty that her fans are somewhat, um, fanatical. And we're not just talking about 'the girls' Stephen mentioned. There are boys, Twilight Moms, twenty somethings, thirty somethings; heck there's 40, 50, 60+ somethings out there pining over Edward, Jacob and the world of Forks, WA.

So, in summation, I have to ask: Is Stephen King saying that all of us who love the prose of a writer he thinks "can’t write worth a darn" are literary cretins? That's kind of how I feel; like my love is baseless in his eyes.

Not cool, Steve, not cool.

1 comment:

Ailora Blue said...

P.S. I still love Stephen King even though he's been a bad boy :D